Obsession

What  am I obsessed about?
I thought for a long while and I couldn't put my finger on to anything particular, maybe the word had negative connotations, and my face had it's own pride, to tie the word "Obsession" to my being. And then when I thought of it a bit longer, like even while washing dishes and other mundane chores, I concluded that obsession doesn't have to to do with negativity only, a bit of it can be positive and healthy, when it drives you to reach out to your goals. Now, such kind of positive obsession I ain't sure, if I have found.
As a child, I was obsessed with the Enid Blyton books, which my 3rd grade teacher   had so loving introduced. That marked my journey into the fancy world of goblins and pixies. I don't think I missed out any of her books, and this was made easy cause my entire class got so hung up on the stories that our teacher used to read out to us from her books, that every student in the class bought one, the readers and the non readers alike and it became more of a fashion statement.
So we happily exchanged the books amongst us, like you would expect any chirpy eight year old would.
By the time I reached my teens, I was a voracious reader and had devoured every book that came my way. The weekly library period was no longer enough for my needs, and I would borrow books of my classmates, which made them playfully change the vowel's in my name to 'o' and 'e' and my name from 'Nawal' was replaced by 'Novel'.
I would read between my study periods with my subject text book carefully blanketing the storybook hidden underneath, with little to no interruptions at all. Except that my reads during my 'Arabic periods' were not the best reads. The thundering voice of the teacher would every now and then, jolt me back into reality, and leave me in an abysmally pitiful state. More than the stories and plot, I was intrigued with the different writing styles around.
And this carried on till I got married.
Post marriage and till now there is one question that has always been constant- the obsession with 'what I'll be cooking for dinner tomorrow?'
On some good days, I even obsess about replicating the food I liked at some nice restaurant.
Sometimes I obsess over makeup, sometimes watches and abayas. And most of the time, Pakistani suits. Somedays find me obsessing over a  certain Youtube chef and trying out all her recipes until I get bored and switch to another.
Somedays its  Ankita's makeup tutorials and sometimes its Kaushal's.
Now, as an adult I have become fickle and my obsessions varied. And now this is scary! It's no fun being a swinging pendulum.

Comments