Bas ek thappad

Bas ek thappad.

Haven't seen the movie 'Thappad' yet, but just seeing the reviews floating around calls for some introspection. A slap from the partner is like a crackling blow on one's soul, causing one's dignity and self esteem to cripple and melt away, somewhat stemming from the fact that 'I am better than you or I am more privileged than you.'
In life's most mundane acts - the washing of the plates and scouring of the pans, I dawned upon a realization that shook me and made my skin crawl. The life of the women undergoing such trauma might never change or improve as they have made it perfectly okay for themselves to live and breathe in such relations where their souls have been  tampered with and exploited and rendered so dumb to see the reality like it is.
When one day the cries of my neighbor became too unbearable, I rushed down to the security of my building to report much to the dissatisfaction of my husband who felt I should be minding my own marital business than meddling with others domestic issues. The security came at once with me and upon ringing the bell we came face to face with the husband and the wife who appeared as normal as any couple could be. But the voices didn't stop after that either. The next day when the men folk were at work, I approached the lady again. She refused any sort of help, and remarked " jab wo peetey hai, marte hai." Loosely, when he drinks, he beats. Subtly alluding to the fact that it's okay as he's not really in his senses when he's abusive. So it's okay and after all doesn't one vent out his frustration and anger over one he loves.?!

That's when I  knew. So painful and pathetic. Nothing is going to change the plight of those woman who have normalised this behavior.  They have fooled themselves into believing that just a slap is very harmless as it doesn't cause the destruction of the body. Seldom realizing that the impact it has made on their souls is many degrees worse. A relationship that needs to take the support of 'thappads' has already fallen and failed as the role of the partner is significantly undermined. To live in a state of constant threat and fear on the unpredictability of one's spouse is something very disturbing to think about. What's worse is being okay with it.

Waiting to see this one, and hoping it will be a wake up call for the masses. 

Comments